Sometime this last year, I had a conversation with a few friends here about how funny it would be to see a foreigner working in a kushary shop, or driving a taxi or donkey cart around town. We had a good laugh at the thought of it, but I haven't been able to talk anyone into it yet. If you are reading this and live in Egypt and want to do some street art, or own a kushary shop, let me know. I do realize that there is a fine line between making people smile and just appearing plain crazy. I am sure you may all know someone who walks this fine line. I know I do.
My children are naturals at making people smile. The other day we were walking down the street and everyone that walked by was smiling or laughing at us. I turned around and saw my 4 year old, strutting like a peacock and wearing 3-D glasses that were way too big for him.
I think as we evolve into adulthood we loose a little bit of...well, silliness. We have been worn down with thoughts of "what will people think of me" or "I have too much too think about in regard to my own life", or"I have to have social awareness about the way I act". I had an art teacher once tell me, you have to learn the rules, so you know how to break them.
I think as we evolve into adulthood we loose a little bit of...well, silliness. We have been worn down with thoughts of "what will people think of me" or "I have too much too think about in regard to my own life", or"I have to have social awareness about the way I act". I had an art teacher once tell me, you have to learn the rules, so you know how to break them.
I think in a society that has a lot of hardship, like Egypt, you can only focus on the negative for so long. If you dwell too long on it, it will start sucking the life out of you. You are faced with a choice...to change your attitude or to change your society...or both, I suppose (okay, I guess it is not really a choice after all).
Today, I may be walking the crazy-line, but I am going to go out of my way to make someone smile. Anyone walk to walk the line with me?
Today, I may be walking the crazy-line, but I am going to go out of my way to make someone smile. Anyone walk to walk the line with me?



I walk the line. Tell me what you did and I'll tell you what I did. I'm dying to know...
ReplyDeleteUsually when I try to "walk" the line, my kids think that I "cross" the line and embarass them. I've found that there can be a "fine" line between the two. I agree though everything around us can change when we make an attitude adjustment. I want to be a positive, loving, grateful person no matter what the circumstances of my life are!
ReplyDeleteI love this challenge!!! Your pictures are so cute too :)
ReplyDelete