Monday, August 23, 2010

Deep Thoughts by Me

I don't know about you, but if I had to eat with this set of utensils I would go crazy trying to untie it.  Maybe it's supposed to represent how getting married is like tying the knot, but if I was hungry and fasting like my neighbors outside, I would just use my hands to eat!


Speaking of neighbors, we got an invitation to an "iftar" at our neighbor's house the other day.  An Iftar is the meal Muslims eat to "break" their fast during Ramadan, or the Arabic way of saying breakfast.  We thought they told us to be there at 7pm, which confused us a bit, because sundown was around 6:30.  At 6:34 I was looking at this photo and our neighbor's servant, yes their servant, was at the door asking us if we were coming.

We quickly got ready and walked out of our flat, only to realize that we left our keys inside.  Oh well, a problem we would deal with later.

Let me just say there was so much yummy food, already being devoured, upon our arrival.  I am sad to say that I envied  (ma-sha-allah!) their Turkey!  It was the best turkey (ma-sha-allah!) I have ever had in my whole American life.  It was an Egyptian turkey that they sent out to a shop to be cooked in a special sand-oven.  All I can say is this Thanksgiving (ma-sha-allah!), I am not cooking my own turkey again!

Besides turkey there was duck and chicken, salads, rice, a huge plate of stuffed grape leaves, french fries, chicken nuggets for the kids, donuts, cakes, marshmallows, cookies, pretzels, and a bunch of other things I can't even recall right now (ma-sha-allah!).  I don't think I have eaten that much since last November.

These are the grandkids that went around collecting flour, eggs, etc. from everyone in the building to make homemade donuts...then the servants kicked them out of the kitchen...yup, servants! (ma-sha-allah!)


After dinner the kids had a sugar smorgasbord!  Theo is finishing off the marshmallows.





Our night ended with a bang!  Remember we forgot our keys?  Well, after much debating about how to handle the situation, my husband just kicked the door in!  This is why my boys think their dad is the coolest.


Now, if only we had some Tums!

PS:  Ma-sha-allah:   "As God has Willed".  

4 comments:

  1. Man, Theo is so cute!! I am hungry looking at that turkey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great adventure with you April. I have a little something for you but it will have to wait until we get back from Ireland. I am looking forward to seeing you at Christmas. I hope you can squeeze time in. I feel we didn't even really know each other until our blogs hooked us up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this cultural experience with us. It almost makes me want to come to Egypt in August to experience it...Almost, but I think I will stick to February for my visits, since the weather is much cooler!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Theo is SOOOOOO big!! And so stinkin cute!! Do you just eat him up?! :) I'm glad you were able to feast with neighbors and not have to cook!! Ma-Sha-allah!

    ReplyDelete