Check out those hours folks! My bet is, come 1, 2, 3 o'clock in the morning, this store will still be packed.
Have I mentioned that Egyptians LOVE promotions? Most times when we go to this store people will be buying carts and carts of whatever item is on sale like sugar, canned mackerel, toilet paper, or rice. On this shopping trip I bought a case of milk. A lady saw that the cartons were still wrapped together and stopped me to ask if they were on promotion. She looked so excited, that I was sad to tell her no. I explained that I was just buying a lot of milk for my children. Unfortunately, she didn't believe me and thought I was hiding the truth from her. Boy, was she one bargain hunter.
This is what was left from the spaghetti promotion. Give it a few more hours and all that will be left will be the imported noodles from across the aisle.
This guy one the left with the speaker was announcing the promotions all through the store. The promotion of the minute? BUTTER! Big round pieces of butter. Also, the packages in the front hold a type of hard cheese called Romy. Egyptians love the stuff as much as a good sale. It is very stinky and eaten with long pieces of bread called fino for breakfast.
Speaking of round things, what in the world are these? I was standing by the meat counter trying to decide if I was brave enough to cook them. (BTW, I decided I'm not.) A lady started speaking to me in Arabic super fast. I had no idea what she said, but she was pointing to two cases of meat next to this one. I think she was trying to tell me that the type of meats were the same, but the one on the left was a about 1LE (about .20 cents) more in price than the other. She looked like she was very displeased, so I just shook my head and acted like I totally agreed with everything she was saying. What a great conversation we had!
Yes, good times were had by all! By the way, do you want to know what I find almost as scary as zombie movies...People dressed up in costumes like these. Backing away very slowly! Please don't wave at me.





Wow - that looks exciting!!! I would go there too. I would stay away from the meat section though- that was definitely an animal organ of some sort - EW!!
ReplyDeleteEW! Looks like stomach to me...but I'm not an expert or anything. :) I love that you take pictures of your trips. Makes me feel like you aren't so far away. Actually it makes me realize you are half a world away, but it's still neat to see what life is like for you.
ReplyDeleteI loved going to the grocery store with you today! Thanks for your post and the pictures!
ReplyDelete