Cairo just so happens to be the complete opposite of my childhood environment. I grew up barefoot in the mountains, with a small stream and no visible neighbors. I couldn't begin to count the hours my brothers and I spent I spent picking wild flowers or creating hideouts among the trees. In fact, I miss it so much at times that I have been known to go online just to look at beautiful pictures of mountains and water. What really breaks my heart is when my own kids get so excited over seeing a patch of grass on the side of the road that they can't help but throw off their shoes and roll around in it.
When we first moved here, I thought it would help to add a lot of house plants to our home to quench my thirst for nature. This year I started with 4 plants, 5 counting the one growing up out of our bathroom pipe.
Sadly, I have killed all but one. After these poor plants look as if they are gone forever and I have no choice but to put them outside my door. The Boab picks them up and takes them outside the building and, as if by some miracle, manages to brings them back to life again.
In regard to the amount of people, being an introvert, I find living in the largest city in Africa and the Middle East to be a bit draining. I mean, there are people everywhere! Even within my own home I have 3 little ones that would love to sit on my lap all day long and play. At times, I sense an overwhelming urge to hide in my broom closet (and sometimes I have). I find myself having to push beyond my own strength and comfort when thoughts of being with people seem to be just too much.
On a happier note, the best part of Cairo also has to do with the existing nature and that same sheer amount of people. Cairo, without a doubt, has the most wonderful seasonal fruits and vegetables and right now is mango season...mmmmm.
Also, the blessings of living with so many people in general are exceedingly beyond any anxiety that I may experience. This is especially true, however, when living with people from other cultures, beliefs, economical status, age, etc. I have found that it within this melding there appears a richness to life that is beyond description. I imagine it is a taste of what heaven will be like. Relationships like these become the nourishment that chokes out fear and allows beautiful things to flourish.
Like my plants, I realize that I simply can not survive in my small dark flat without others. There are beautiful and fruitful relationships just waiting to be picked and tasted. I challenge you today to go out of your way to become friends with people whom are outside your comfort culture. Taste and see.

Wow April.
ReplyDeleteAWESOME post April!! Beautiful.
ReplyDeleteIsn't true in life that our greatest strengths can be our greatest weaknesses! I love the way that you expressed yourself so beautifully in this post!
ReplyDelete