
Two days ago, I had a young lady clean my house. She has been coming to clean about once a week and my house is so dirty every time she comes. It's not that I don't clean here. It's just that everyday at least a pound or two of dirt blows through my window or is tracked in by my two sandbox loving children. I am amazed that there is any sand left at their school.
One time I was waiting to pick them up and I saw a cat use the play ground as a litter box. I wondered if I should have mentioned it to anyone, but I didn't. BTW, cats are everywhere here but that's another story! I stopped letting Theo explore the wonders of sand after this.
It takes this lady about 3 hours to clean our flat and I pay her about $10. I feel so strange having someone clean for me, but living in Egypt with three small kids, language, and the lack of modern conveniences, it has become a need. Once she finishes, I finally feel like the flat is finally manageable then for me to clean it according to my American standards.
Today after she did the floor, I did the floor. As I was mopping I was thinking that it was really too hot to clean. I peeled off my "going out" layers until I was in a tank top and a skirt. As I cleaned, I looked over and there was the electrician, who was supposed to be wiring the building next door, staring into my window. I felt so frustrated and exposed. I closed the curtains, finished mopping, poured myself a glass of water and sat down on the couch only to have Luke come in and announced that he and his sister just dropped sesame bread sticks all over the place in the kitchen.
Ugh. I feel your frustration about the electrician. I know how frustrating it is not to feel 'free' even in your own home. I felt that 'punch in the gut' sick feeling when I read that. I am so sorry he did that!!
ReplyDeleteI love your blog, by the way. I am encouraged every time I read it!