Thursday, September 9, 2010

comfort items



If I was stranded on a deserted Island, like in survivor, my one comfort item would be......a dishwasher!  Well, I guess I would need dishes if I was stranded on an Island to put in my dishwasher.  I would also need electricity to make it work...and running water.  But if I was stranded in Cairo my 2 comfort items would be a dishwasher and a dryer.  At this point, I would be willing to trade my refrigerator for a dishwasher.  Except, the refrigerator belongs to the landlord and it leaks anyway.

If I could choose one item in my house that didn't leak, I would pick the refrigerator.  Yes, even though every facet in our flat leaks and even my two boys leak where they are not supposed to, I would still pick the refrigerator.  I thank God for tile floors...and my husband who changed the litter box this morning (I knew he did it because I could hear him gagging).  If I had to choose between roaches in my flat or a cat that hunted down and killed the roaches, I would pick the cat, even though she's fluffy and sheds.

I was washing the dishes the other day and I thought to myself...I totally can imagine what Martha in the Bible must have felt like.  She had hers and Mary's and Jesus' and everyone else's dishes to wash and she had probably washed a bunch of dishes the day before getting ready for company.

Speaking of company, the other day I told the kids to pick up the living room and Jubilee came in and whispered to me, "Mom...you want to know a secret to get Luke and I to clean up the living room without complaining? ".  WOW, Good News, Good News, stop the presses!  Of course I do, and this is what she said in her little whisper that tickles our ears so badly we can hardly stand to listen, "Just tell us company is coming over."

I am not sure how I feel about that.  Does she only see me clean when guests come over?  Because some days I feel like all I do is clean and pick up after the kids.  In fact, blogging helps me feel like I do something other than just clean.  I know that if I don't stop picking up and go out every so often, I will have nothing to blog about.

Someday soon, my children will be old enough to wash the dishes themselves, and clean up their messes and be potty trained.  Until that time, a deserted island sounds really nice with or without a dishwasher.

PS:  I do have company coming over tomorrow but this post has nothing to do with that.  I actually wrote it a couple of days ago and am posting it now.  So if you are a guest coming over tomorrow, this is not about you:)!

4 comments:

  1. Without fail, when I start to pick up (every single day), Bailey always asks, "Who's coming over?" :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so funny about what Jubilee said. Same here (as what Heather said); every time I start cleaning, Micah and Jaden both ask who is coming over! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hubby has learned to stop telling me that I care more about what company thinks than he thinks about the house. I told him that it's a compliment - it means I don't feel judged by him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids always knew that everything had to be picked up 2 times a day. They had to pick up before their Dad came home from work and before they went to bed. I knew that at least twice a day the house would be straight. They tried saying that we didn't need a clean house just for us, and I told them that we deserve a clean house, it wasn't just for company. I must admit that I don't think they were ever convinced! I am with you April, I would chose a dishwasher over a microwave.

    ReplyDelete