Wednesday, September 1, 2010

come on...everybody's doing it.

I am not fasting for Ramadan...today I felt like I was fasting.  I didn't really have breakfast and at 2pm I still had not eaten.  I was about to go grocery shopping.  I know, DANGER-never go shopping on an empty stomach.  There is a food-court by the grocery store, but no one was really eating there and after not really eating, the thought of McDonald's or Hardee's (Carl's Jr. overseas brother without bacon) did not appeal to me.  I opted for a sandwich from a little coffee shop.

I really didn't want to eat in public.  I really wanted to be sensitive to my surrounding neighbors.  Unfortunately, I had two seating choices...the seat inside the window facing the crowds or the table outside in the mall where the crowds were walking.  Either one was bad.  I chose the non-smoking seat and watched all the people walking by give me disappointing looks.  There are certain times that women don't have to fast...say, when it's THAT time of the month.  I had a taxi driver ask me if I was fasting once...I thought, that question is a little personal.  What if I was and it just so happened to be that time...then he would know that it was that time.  I told him, not today, maybe tomorrow.  To which he answered: in-sha-allah (lord willing), which is what I should have said in the first place.

1 comment: