One of the granite-like parts about living in Egypt is learning Arabic. I love to be able to express my feelings, who doesn't, but I find that my current vocabulary allows me to either do my daily shopping or speak about my feelings in metaphors.
For example, I can say things like...
I am a leaf
without water
out in the hot Egyptian sun.
Or on the upside...
I am a butterfly
going from flower to flower
as God made butterflies to do.
Other then that, my self-expression is mostly non-verbal.
Growing up in school we were required to take 2 years of a foreign language or 4 years of art. I started in 8th grade as a small caterpillar in a Spanish cocoon (taught by my Music teacher) and bulged out as an ugly grub. I attempted to repeat my metamorphosis the next year, this time Spanish taught by a German lady, but alas, I was destined to be a grub. So I chose to make my wings in art classes and drama. They were beautiful, unique, and special wings that glittered as I moved and danced and when the wind blew...
Where was I...oh yeah. Language does not come naturally to me, even English sometimes. I have to say, however, my training in non-verbal communication from theater, has been more useful to me in the Middle East than Spanish ever could have been.
We are currently using a method of language learning created by a man named Thompson, Greg Thompson. You can read some of his articles at http://www.languageimpact.com/articles/articles.htm. He has developed a system of language learning based on learning as a child learns. This includes games, fun times, and just listening for a good wallop of time before actually speaking the language. I had just finished the listening part of the curriculum when I decided, um...ah...well yup, that I needed to take a small break for a while before the formal but non-formally speaking part of the lessons began.
I had posted a picture of one of our language learning sessions under the spaghetti bones recipe, but I will include some more here...
It takes a child years before they can talk. Theo knows just a few words and only Daddy and I can understand them. Still, he communicates so much to me everyday. Luke is always saying his sentences incorrectly, but I hardly notice because his heart is so full of joy and love. I would never show them the whole dictionary and tell them this is what they must learn to express their feelings. Yet, I do this to myself so often.
Not to sound prideful, but this video greatly encouraged me...I know that as language-challenged as I feel, I can take comfort in the fact that at least I am smarter than this guy...http://www.vdb.org/smackn.acgi$misc?clips/TEACHINGAP.mov
PS. Here is the story behind this video, in case you are interested...http://www.vdb.org/smackn.acgi$tapedetail?TEACHINGAP




April, you are such a wonderful writer. Yesterday in listening to an information show, the comment was made that we have to practice something 10,000 hours before we begin to master it. Wow ... gives us hope, huh? You just keep doing those baby steps, sister - never know when you might need to point out the ladybug beside the blue fish! Lori A.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteIs the title taken from Woody Allens's Bullets Over Broadway? Brilliant. April we have more in common than I knew. I'm a theatre person too. Wish we couldn't done things together maybe at the church. Maybe something lurks in the future. Love you blog as always. Love the way you describe your children...
ReplyDeleteI can't even begin to imagine how challenging it must be for you! I took spanish for four years and I still can only say mundane and useless things (except for "where's the bathroom?" That one's pretty important).
ReplyDeleteI find this post to be true in general with "feeling words." My husband is still learning to find his language where that one's concerned. In English. :D
p.s..I like the new look!
April, you have so eloquently expressed the frustration of a language learner. I know that you can do it! Keep taking the time to do the right thing, albeit, the hard thing!
ReplyDeleteIn the mean time you might want to say ladybug, ladybug, ladybug, ladybug,
ladybug, ladybug, ladybug, ladybug, ladybug...